When I first saw the adverts for the Amazon Echo, I kind of shrugged it off wondering why you'd really need one of those. As time went on I became more and more curious, until one day we were invited to someones home that had an Echo with Alexa in their kitchen. After that day, I knew I needed one and couldn't wait to get one for our own home.
The main things on that day that appealed to me were the fact you could set alarms whilst cooking and also have pretty much any music you can think of played in an instant. The kids mainly liked getting Alexa to make fart noises and meow like a cat, but that's another story.
Firstly, the sound quality is brilliant for a small speaker. It goes really loud, with no tinny sound and has now replaced our need for a CD player and probably even our CD collection at some point when we brave ditching it. Aside from a few of our more obscure music choices, it literally has everything. As Prime members, we pay just £3.99 a month for unlimited music and it's honestly the best thing ever. Having music on makes me happy, it makes cleaning easier and brings back all kinds of memories and I just wasn't enjoying music before the arrival of our Echo, mainly because all the CDs were away in boxes, I couldn't really be bothered to keep going to get them and I don't have a lot of the things I actually want to listen to.
Alexa can do a lot, you can ask her anything pretty much and she can answer it, as well as having quizzes and games which you can play whilst you cook or just need a life break.
Here's a list of all the things your Echo could do for you, many of which we've not even tried yet!
- Play music
- Make calls
- Set music alarms and timers
- Ask questions
- Control smart home devices instantly
- Play Audible books, radio stations, news briefs, and more.
- Call or message almost anyone hands-free with your Echo device
- Instantly connect to other Echo devices in your home using just your voice
- Speaker with Dolby processing for crisp vocals and dynamic bass response
- Echo can fill the room with 360° omnidirectional audio. Adjust the treble, mid, and bass levels with your voice.
- With seven microphones, beam forming technology, and noise cancellation, Echo hears you from any direction—even while music is playing
- Ask Alexa to check your calendar, weather, traffic, and sports scores, manage to-do and shopping lists
- Alexa is always getting smarter and adding new features and skills
- Ask Alexa to control your TV, request an Uber, order a pizza, and more.
There is a newer model out now of the Echo, but our classic one is great, it has so much to offer, plays music on demand for all the family and is great to help keep kids entertained and have hands free reminders in your life. I love that we can set timers when preparing meals and I can't wait to try out more of what Alexa and the Echo have to offer.
This really is a must for any home, music, facts and news on tap is plenty, but adding on all those other super helpful time saving additions offer even more.
These are pretty reasonably priced on Amazon right now (affiliate link below) and if you've not dabbled with one yet, get it on your Christmas list this year or get one for that awkward person that you never know what to buy for. It's great!
Have you tried anything like the Echo yet?