We love a little bit of home baking and sometimes when Alf asks if we can bake, it's a mad panic to see what we actually have in and if there is anything we can make. My backup is usually something simple like crispy cakes but recently we fancied a savoury option so went for some super simple cheese straws. We winged this a little initially but they turn out so well and are so delicious I thought I would share this as it's a quick easy recipe that is perfect to make with kids, easy for toddlers to eat and perfect for us parents to snack on too. These aren't the healthiest but do make a tasty treat!
These twists take less than half an hour all in to make and have just a few simple ingredients. we make around 12 cheese twists but you could make more or less depending on the size you prefer. Ours are standard 'shop size' ones as you would buy in a packet but a million times tastier.
- 150g Mature Cheddar
- 40g Softened butter
- 160g Plain flour
- 1 Teaspoon Salt
- Milk (as required)
- Pre heat the oven to 190c or gas mark 5.
- Prepare a greased baking tray or add baking paper to a tray (you can still oil this for a more crispy base if you like, we use one cal spray).
- Mix the cheese and butter together until the cheese is coated and there are no large butter lumps. This will look a bit messy but I promise it will work out.
- Add the flour and salt to the bowl and mix.
- Add milk as required until it feels like dough and give it some kneading.
- Sprinkle surface with flour and a little on the dough, just enough to make it dry enough to roll out.
- Slice into even strips.
- Hold each end between finger and thumb and twist.
- Place twists on baking tray
- Wash with egg if desired for a glossy crisp - (I don't do this but you can!)
- Bake in the oven for 15-20 minutes or until they look golden.
- Leave to cool.
Note - you can add seeds before baking, mustard powder to the mix or any other delicious flavours for a more intense flavour.
Let me know if you try it! We love them.